Ebene News – GB – Prince Philip: Duke of Edinburgh admitted to hospital as a precaution after feeling unwell, says Buckingham Palace

A royal source said the 99-year-old “should stay in hospital for a few days of observation and rest”

Journalist
@ TomGillespie1

The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to hospital as a ‘precautionary measure’ after feeling unwell, Buckingham Palace said

A palace spokesperson said the 99-year-old “should stay in hospital for a few days of observation and rest”

He was taken to hospital on the advice of his doctor and is said to be in a good mood

A royal source said Prince Philip did not have coronavirus-related illness and entered hospital unassisted on Tuesday evening

Buckingham Palace said in a statement: “His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in London on Tuesday evening

“The admission of the Duke is a precautionary measure, on the advice of the doctor of His Royal Highness, after a malaise”

A Downing Street spokesperson said: ‘The Prime Minister sends his best wishes to the Duke of Edinburgh as he spends a few days off in hospital”

He was last seen in public in July 2020 when he transferred his role as Colonel-in-Chief of The Rifles to his stepdaughter Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall

He has been staying with the Queen at Windsor Castle since the introduction of coronavirus restrictions last year

Philip has suffered from several ailments over the years, including being treated for a blocked coronary artery at Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire in December 2011

He was then treated for a bladder infection in June 2012, forcing him to miss the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations

Exploratory abdominal surgery followed in June 2013 and he started using hearing aids in 2014 at the age of 93

He later withdrew from a Battle of Jutland anniversary event in June 2016, citing a minor illness which was followed shortly thereafter by his retirement from public service in 2017

Philip was involved in a car accident in January 2019 but was not injured and did not go to hospital

He spent four nights at King Edward Hospital in December 2019, where he was treated for a ‘pre-existing illness’ and then was discharged on Christmas Eve

Earlier this month, the palace confirmed that the Queen and Prince Philip both received their first dose of a coronavirus vaccine

It is understood that the Queen has decided that the information should be made public to avoid inaccuracies and other speculation

© 2021 Sky United Kingdom

Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip

Ebene News – GB – Prince Philip: Duke of Edinburgh admitted to hospital as a precaution after illness, says buckingham palace

Source: https://news.sky.com/story/duke-of-edinburgh-admitted-to-hospital-as-a-precaution-after-feeling-unwell-buckingham-palace-says-12220854